Imaginif prompts for daily writers.
If you wish to join the Writers Prompt Daily simply use the below photo (changes daily) as a prompt and post a short story, poem or paragraph to your blog. Leave a comment and your link here so that all participants can come to you and read/comment/encourage. Stories below are copyright and are Megan Bayliss' writing around the below daily picture prompt.


Boots and all

Genre: Stream of Consciousness
Description: Boots picture conjured so many ideas that I was unable to choose, therefore I experimented with the thoughts running through my mind as I pondered the picture.

I wonder whose boots they are, Mary's or Sammi's? Bloody boots. Like I haven't had enough boots in my life. Army boots, walking boots, riding boots, fashion boots.
Oh, I wish I could go back to London again soon. I loved the boots I used to wear to work. It's too hot here for boots. How the hell did I do it in my early feminist days? I wore boots similar to these ones. I couldn't afford Doc Martins so I wore a brown variety of lace ups. Must have looked funny: my midi dresses with splits up the side to breakfast time, boots and a big fat pregnant belly. Jesus, how did I lace those buggers up when I was pregnant. I wonder if that's why I stopped wearing the boots? Those London boots were lace ups too. Rather feminine and Victorian looking, like something from Upstairs Downstairs. Those Boots I bought at DFO last winter, before I went to Melbourne, were crap. They walk wrong: they roll. They hurt my back. I wonder if Dad's army boots used to get hot. Those boots and his web belt seem to be an ever present part of my childhood memories. Ooops, losing stream of consciousness and moving toward Life Writing. Time to stop because these boots were made for walking. LOVE that song, love Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood's original.

Photo courtesy of Sammi at Sammi Speaks. Sometimes.


 
If you wish to join the Writers Prompt Daily simply use the above photo as a prompt and post a short story, poem or paragraph to your blog. Leave a comment and the link here so that all participants can come to you and read/comment/encourage. Story above is copyright and is Megan Bayliss' writing around the above picture prompt.

6 Response to "Boots and all"

Julie G said...

Morning Megan
I had to look up what stream of consciousness meant, but I think I got it right??
Loved the topic. I didn't realise how much boots have had an impact in my life.

http://thelittledunpony.blogspot.com/2010/05/bootswhat-boots.html

Sammi said...

Is it cheating if you choose the photo?

Heh.

Fun fun.

Megan Bayliss said...

Hi Julie - great work. Have left you a comment on your writing. You know that you can choose whatever genre you want though. You don't have to follow the genre I write in on any given day. I like to shake it up a bit and try different genre's and voices but if you want to stay with a particular genre you can...jut as long as there is a link between your writing and the prompt pic.

Sammi - no, it's not cheating. I am really grateful that you picked the pic and I am very grateful for your writing practice piece and your challenge of me when I told you in an email what I had first wanted to write around the prompt: lesbian boots kept me awake half the night planning stories around them. In the end I couldn’t decide which way to run so I did stream of consciousness as an experiment – it’s boring. My favourite kept me awake story was from the perspective of a shoe lace being fingered by a lesbian and continually looking up the Lesbians leg, all the way to her “it’s all about me” spot. But then I figured that my kids read my writing so I had better not totally shock them! (aka – I was too chicken to write that stuff publicly on a child protection related blog).

I also wrote around self censorship on my website: http://www.imaginif.com.au/self-censorship/

I am going to rewrite my piece around this prompt, without self censor!

Sammi said...

You forgot to include my response to that email:

"You're right.
The consciousness thing bores me to unconsciousness."

Ha!
I'm so funny.

Can't wait to read what your uncensored self has to say.

Sammi said...

BTW:
Love the video of your story.
I could *hear* the whole thing :)

Unknown said...

My post is up - yes I have taken up the boot challenge :-)

 
powered by Blogger